Tuesday 24 August 2021

How Maui found his hook and the magic jawbone

 Kia ora


Have you heard the story of how Maui found his hook and the magic jawbone?


The storey  tells us  how Maui, the trirckster  creates a plan to find out who his father is and where his mother  secretly goes in the day. He watches his mum dive into a deep hole, he follows her in and uses his shapeshifting powers to disguise himself as a Kereru. Maui finds his mother sitting under a tree talking to a strange man.  Maui, the Kereru, flies to the top of the tree and starts throwing berries at them.  This frustrates the man, so he gets up and throws a stone at the Kereru which lands right on its chest causing it to plummate to the ground. Maui is transformed back into himself and he realises that the strange man with his mother is actually his father.

  


I have sketched out the Kereru that Maui the shape shifter transformed into. I used a mixture of coloured pencil and water colour paints which I think make the colours come to life. I have included the colours

Red, green, gray and blue to make the Kereru pop.



I enjoyed coloring in my drawing and reading the storey of how Maui found his hook and the magic jawbone. I found it challenging to find the right colours for my Kereru.



Click here to listen to how Maui found his hook and the magic jawbone.





2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Irelyn,

    What a stunning Kereru your have sketched. I love all of the colours and like you said the colours really do pop. Is the yellow and orange a 'glow' to show that this is Maui?

    Ka pai,
    Miss Hickling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Irelyn
    Wow what an impressive quality blog, I can see you have spent a lot of time on this task. Your retelling of the story is amazing, I also like how you have linked a youtube clip for people to listen to the story.

    If you could transform into any native New Zealand animal what would you be and why?

    Your Kereru is beautiful, you are so lucky you have artistic talent.



    I hope you're having a safe and happy lockdown and look forward to seeing more of your work online.
    Mā te wā
    Miss Mikayla

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well.
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog.
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.